Winching backwards

While I'm supposed to be thinking about other items (house & work related),
I'm really pondering my bumper options.  Here's the delemma: how do get
extractate myself from the inevitable situation in which my front tires are
buried in mud?

I've been pondering some removable winch-basket designs.  On the other hand,
I might be able to get a good deal on a fixed-mount Ramsey & aftermarket
Scout bumper.

Here's the questions:
  1.  What is a fair price to pay for a Ramsey winch & bumper setup?
  2.  If I store the line with a "leader" run below the scout and tied
      to the rear bumper, I could easily pull the lead under the scout
      when stuck.  Then I could attach it to something and winch myself
      out backwards.  Is this a bad thing?

Thanks,

Ken Farmer