Re: Winching backwards

On Sun, 4 Apr 1999, Farmer wrote:

>   2.  If I store the line with a "leader" run below the scout and tied
>       to the rear bumper, I could easily pull the lead under the scout
>       when stuck.  Then I could attach it to something and winch myself
>       out backwards.  Is this a bad thing?
Ken - a friend with a modified '79 F250 (shortened and flat-bedded now)
was just telling me of his plans to move his Warn M12000 to the rear.. he
wants to move the weight rearward and ditch his winch bumper so he'll
have a better approach angle for next year's Moab trip..

Neat thing is.. he said he can always unspool some cable from the
backside of the winch, and feed it through a slot (fairlead) in the rear
bumper.. leave the hook attached to the front bumper in a storage spot..
and double line his rear pull.  I thought that was pretty neat.

Of course, respooling the winch will be a bear.. having to try to feed it
through onto the drum. he figures he'll pull some cable out the back and
spool it from there where he can watch the drum