Frame Swap

Started around noon today and finished up at midnight.

Pushed Ben's 75 SII back a ways.  Slowly lifted the body tub from the
frame - using blocks of wood and firewood logs.. first on their side,
then on end.. got it up high enough to slide two 8' 4x4s through.  Then
lift one side high enough to get the 4x4s onto a saw horse.. then lifted
the other side up with my shop hoist on one beam and a floorjack under
the other.. finally set 'er down onto the saw horses.

Then we towed the motor/trans/xfer/exhaust and frame n' axles out from
under the tub.. kind of scarey to look at a Scout II body tub complete
(sans front clip) sitting up that high in the air.  Sure did get some
stares as people drove by...

Towed his frame forward, hooked the hoist up and lifted the
motor/trans/xfer out.  Rolled the frame backwards again in between the
engine and the body tub.  Unbolted the springs n' shackles from the frame
and removed the power steering.

Then I grabbed my brother and his friend and the four of us lifted the
bent frame off, carried the good frame over n' set it down, then moved
the bent frame to where the good frame was  - still need to strip the
rear bumper and the skid plate from it - plus the brake lines will go
into my racer, I'll remove some "mounts" for various things.. then it
gets cut up.

Bolted the springs to the new frame.. dropped the motor in.. then pushed
it back under the way-high body tub.

Then tried to drop the tub on it's side. ;-)

Around midnight we had finished slowly working our way down, and the tub
finally dropped back into place on the new body mount bushings.

Now it's time for a shower. ;-)

As for MY projects.. I stripped the passenger side knuckle from the Chevy
'44 and confirmed it's the .5" housing version.  I also drilled out one
of the rear springs and installed the 3/8" center pin.  BTW, air chisels
*DO* make short work of those cursed spring eye bushings!

Tomorrow we put new body mount bolts into Ben's truck and get a few
things squared away... then I can tow it over to HIS garage and he can
finish putting the front clip and other items on..

Goal is to have the racer on wheels tomorrow... and maybe the 727
together.. hopefully!

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout