RE: Custom Steering

On Sat, 3 Apr 1999, Doug Rasmussen wrote:

>   I'm guessing the D44 axles are bigger diameter than Scout2 D30 axles so
> the spindles may not be useable.   I got into diameter problems when I used
> 800 D30 axles would fit the spindles meant for larger diameter Scout 2 D30
> axles.  I suspect there wouldn't be an easy way to accomodate the larger
> D44 axles in the D30 spindles.

Only problem *I* can see is getting the axle shaft *IN* through the Dana
30 knuckle.. I haven't checked, but the Dana 30 use the "little '44
U-joints" while the SII Dana 44 uses the "big joint".

Otherwise, the stub shafts have the same diameter and spline count..
which is why I was able to rob the hubs from my '72 Dana 30 to put 'em
onto my '77 Dana 44.  If the hubs swap.. it stands to reason that the
spindles should work, too.

?

-Tom