Re: shifter boot install

The aliens commander decided "Allan & Kathryn Weidenheimer"
<allanw@domain.elided> would make a perfect specimen for dissection,
and he yelled...

>Looking for SAE 50 Synthetic oil for the tranny
>72 1210 Pickup

By this I assume you mean SAE grade 50 *motor* oil, because SAE 50 *gear*
oil would be thin as water (if it even exists).  SAE 50 motor oil is about
the same viscosity as ISO-220 or the AGMA 5EP designation for gear oils.
The only difference is that ISO-220 has a narrower allowable viscosity
range than a standard SAE grade... which simply means it's more "exacting"
than the SAE grade.  Luckily ISO-220 falls dead in the middle of the wider
SAE 50 viscosity range.  So any gear oil labeled as meeting ISO-220 would
be a perfect replacement for the SAE 50 designation.

McMaster Carr (www.mcmaster.com) sells PAO-based synthetic ISO 220 gear oil
as follows:

1 gallon container, McM pn. 13665K51 $23.22
5 gallon container, McM pn. 13665K55 $98.65

Grainger (www.grainger.com) sells Mobil brand "SHC-630" which is an ISO-220
synthetic gear oil as follows:

1 quart bottle, Grainger pn. 6Y778 $8.53

Any local industrial lubricant supplier found in the yellow pages should
also be able to fix you up with their particular house brand of ISO-220
synthetic gear oil.

Hope that helps,

John L.
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com      |
Conservative Libertarian        |  "The road to  tyranny, we must never
Life Member of the NRA          |   forget, begins with the destruction
WA Arms Collectors              |   of the truth."
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   |                     William J. Clinton
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |    10-15-95, speech at the Univ. of CT