RE: Spring-over and big tires

Tom Stannard wrote:
> 2) I've heard that putting the shackles on the rear of the springs really
> smoothes out the ride.  My 4" lift is just now starting to soften up and
> anything I can do to make it better would be nice (my significant other
> doesn't like the "bumpy" ride...maybe I just need a new
> significant other!)

I'd bet a switch to soft shocks in the back will make the biggest and
cheapest improvement.  I've seen that on a lot of trucks, including my
Scout.  Of course, I've got a spring-under, but still.

> 7) Right now the 345 is spinning a shade under 3000 RPM when I'm cruising
> around 70 mph.  I tend not to go any faster than this just because of the
> engine speed.  I'd like to be able to.  I know that bigger tires will
> significantly help me out here...but will I be disappointed how it
> accelerates off the line?  Right now, I like being able to hit the gas and
> break the back end loose.  Basically, should I change gear ratios?  Would
> going from 3.54's to 3.73's do what I want to do?

You know, you might find that rpms aren't the limiting factor on your upper
speed - it could be the handling.  It's a lot of work to get the steering
just right, especially with big wide tires, and a lot of height.  My
304/3.73/32" set up will happily do 90 mph, but I usually keep it to less
than 75 mph just because of handling.

Ken Farmer