Spring-over and big tires

I have a 1979 Terra, 345, new Carter AFB 4bbl, Accell ignition, TF 727 w/
mild shift kit, a 4" suspension lift, 31 x 10.50 tires, and 3.54 gears.
It's primarily a look-good street vehicle and only gets off-roaded a few
times a year in sand and is a daily driver in the summer. (Don't worry, my
other Scout sees much more frequent off-road use!)  The ultimate goal (I
think) is to do a spring-over and put 35 x 12.50's under it.  Here are my
questions/concerns.  If anyone would like to address these, I would greatly
appreciate it!

1) As far as actually moving the springs to the top of the axles, it looks
pretty simple in the rear.  What do I need to do to make the front work?
The front pumpkin has the spring mount cast into it on the bottom.  Do I
just "machine" my own mount on the top of the axle?

2) I've heard that putting the shackles on the rear of the springs really
smoothes out the ride.  My 4" lift is just now starting to soften up and
anything I can do to make it better would be nice (my significant other
doesn't like the "bumpy" ride...maybe I just need a new significant other!)

3) What do I have to do to make the steering geometry correct?  Do I need
another pitman arm or can I modify my current one?  I know I saw some pretty
crazy stuff done to the drag link on a Scout 800 at the last Nationals...
Should I put one of those reinforcing beams that goes between the steering
gear box and the opposing frame rail?

4) What all is involved in shimming the axles to accommodate the drive
shaft?

5) Will 35 x 12.50's fit?  Can I go bigger?  What will look best?  Is that
too wide/narrow?

6) Since I'll have 2" wider tires than I currently have, I was thinking of
putting on fiberglass fender flares.  Has anyone had experience with those?
How do they go on?  Where do I have to drill holes in the body at?  Since I
live in Ohio and the truck does get out in salt once in a while, are flares
just going to hold salt/mud and make it rust?

7) Right now the 345 is spinning a shade under 3000 RPM when I'm cruising
around 70 mph.  I tend not to go any faster than this just because of the
engine speed.  I'd like to be able to.  I know that bigger tires will
significantly help me out here...but will I be disappointed how it
accelerates off the line?  Right now, I like being able to hit the gas and
break the back end loose.  Basically, should I change gear ratios?  Would
going from 3.54's to 3.73's do what I want to do?

8) And while I'm changing gears, I mite as well put a locker in the rear
end.  I don't want one of those complicated air operated ones...just
something simple (and relatively inexpensive) that will help me out offroad
and won't kill my tires on the street.  What brands have people had success
with?  How hard is a locker to put in?

     Well, for now, I think this is all I need to know.  I would greatly
appreciate anyone's input.

Thanks,

Tom Stannard