Re: 5th wheel ?'s

On Sun, 28 Mar 1999 14:10:33 -0800 "amy lawson" <ajlawson@domain.elided>
writes:
>What would anyone recommend for a Max weight on a fifth wheel
>trailer(gooseneck) (3500# trailer plus load)towed by a traveler with
33's
>3.73 gears projection, dont do nothin but look cool msd, 4 spd?  This
>trailer has electric brakes and has hauled 14 round bails being towed
with
>a beat up scout with no problem(off road/dirt roads).  I am planning a
move
>to Alaska and figure I could haul lots o stuff this way.  I plan on
>installing a ball for the gooseneck and running a bikini top to keep out
>the weather.  any loading recommendations, weight balance ect?  I know
we
>rehashe trailering but did not talk much about fifth wheels.  this is a
>heavy duty trailer and I am sure it can handle more weight than I could
>reasonably tow, just wondering how much you all think I could put on it
>before it is too much
>Thanks
>Ekelmann

You probably didn't get too many replies because there never were any
official recommendations about 5th Wheeling with a Traveler that I know
of and I don't know of too many that have tried it.  As Tom said the
"official IH" max trailer weight would still be 5,000#, but since others
have exceeded that with conventional trailers, you will probably get away
with it too.

My first concern would be the brakes.  Are the electric brakes good
enough to stop the loaded trailer in an emergency stop from highway
speeds by themselves?  If not, then stay at home or get a heavier truck.

I would say that you should load the trailer so that you do not exceed
the 3200# R/A rating on the Scout with the trailer carrying the rest.
Weigh it before you start out.

I think the 33" tires are working against going much above 5000#--you've
got the equivalent of 3.27 gears with stock 29" tires and the clutch may
suffer from the slipping in startups (and I'll bet you've got a wide
ratio, so essentially you've got a 3 speed, although you can use low to
get rolling and then make the big jump to 2nd).  I'd think about trading
down to smaller tires--possibly to 6 plies in the rear at least--for the
trip since this trip will seriously use up your 33's anyway.  The 33's
probably won't offer the best stability and control or wet road traction
either.  With smaller tires, I'd say perhaps 7500# might be
manageable--yes, you can move quite a bit more, but I'm not sure I'd want
to be responsible for it, or have to worry about having drivetrain
problems on a trip of this length.

My $.02.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]