Spinning Shift Lever!!!

Help!!!!

I got home from the bar last night at about 2:45 (early for me!!!-and I
was working, not playing!), and just when I pulled into the driveway, I
threw it into reverse to straighten out my parking job.  Well, I didn't
throw it into reverse-I tried to throw it into revers, and the shift
lever just kept moving.  It stays in position from side-to-side, but
just keeps going.  In other words, when I bring it all the way to the
left to throw it into first, it will keep coming to the left until it
hits some level of the dash which stops it.  Same on the right when
looking for reverse.  It will kieep going.  It goes into gear slots in
an up-and-down orientation, if I can locate the right area.  However, I
have not been able to get it into reverse.  1st thru fourth I seem to be
able to find, but no reverse.  Any of this make any sense?  Anyone know
the locking mechanism for this?  Have I shot reverse in some way?  I am
going to go look at it right now, but thought that if one of you knows
this stuff, by the time I come in, there may be some good advice waiting
for me!

PLEASE HELP!  I am supposed to go pick up my '63 T'all today!!!

BTW, this is in a '64 T'all w/4-speed, 345, 4WD.

Thanks!

Michael