Re: Spinning Shift Lever!!!

The shift lever pivots on a ball and socket.  The ball has a slot cut in one
side and there's a hole in the socket where a dowel pin goes in to keep the
ball from turning.
Chances are that the dowel hole and slot are worn out so badly that the pin
fell out, or the pin wore and finally broke.

The way to access this on a T-19 is to unscrew the steel dust cover from the
base of the shift lever where it enters the top cover.  Once the dust cover is
off, the shift lever and ball lifts out the top of the shift cover and you can
see the dowel hole and pin.  If I'm not mistaken, your tranny would be a T-98.
I'm not sure if the dust cover unscrews from the top of your tranny or if you
have to take the top cover off and get to the dowel pin from the bottom.

Jerry Muncie

In a message dated 3/27/99 12:44:12 PM US Eastern Standard Time,