IH 304 Valve Noise

Help!!!

I have an 80 Scout II which I transplanted the old diesel out of and
replaced with a '77 304.  After a year with the new (used) gas engine, I
rebuilt it because it began to make horrible lifter noise.  Anyhow,
during the rebuild I replaced all of the lifters with new lifters from
NAPA and had the valves ground (including the stems).  I did not replace
the cam because it was a Comp Cam (installed by DPO) and an engine
builder told me it looked fine and I left the original pushrods in it
also. Anyhow, I put it back together and it has ran fine for the past 10
months till now!!  Basically, It has the normal lifter tap/clacking at
startup...but it never goes away!!!  I replaced two spongy lifters which
cured the problem for a week but now it back again!! I am extremely
frustrated and ready to junk the motor.  Anyhow, my plan now is to
replace all lifters with new Comp Cam lifters, replace pushrods with new
Sealed power rods, and shave about .030" off of the bottom of the
aluminum rocker stands to shorten the distance between the rocker arms
and the lifters - so that the lifter piston operates in a slightly
different range.

Does anyone have any ideas????  The only other possibility I can think
of is that the engine builder ground down the valve stems too much---  I
have tried to check the preload of the lifters but I have found it very
difficult to do.  I can twist some of the rods fairly easily when
everything is tight, but I cant get much up-down play at all - what I am
thinking is that the lifters are at their maximum extension, and out of
their proper operating range, thus causing them to prematurely fail.

Do you think it is wise to shorten the stands???  Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

Thank You, Chuck Welles