Re: And the Landry Million mile challenge is on...

The aliens commander decided John Fleck <jlfleck@domain.elided> would make a
perfect specimen for dissection, and he yelled...

>Well John if you are going to stick to your position I will challenge you.
>Take off the msd and run without for a week and with for a week and see if
>you get better milage (of corse not while pulling trailor or something
>different from week to week).

No need John.  I've run with the MSD triggered by everything from points,
gold box, magnetic pickup to the Pertronix Ignitor.  I've run my engine
with points alone.  I've run it with the gold box alone.  I've run it with
the pertronix ignitor alone.  I've run the original stock IH coil.  I've
run an MSD Blaster coil.  I've used Autolite plug wires.  I've used MSD
sprila-core plug wires.  I've even gone so far as to install a contactor
switch in order to be able to switch between the MSD and either breaker
points or the Pertronix Ignitor on-the-fly while driving.

In all of these situations there was absolutely no change in performance or
fuel economy significant enough to be statistically relevant.  The only
improvement I could easily perceive was some slight improvement in starting
characteristics with the MSD.  This is a well known effect of the
multi-spark feature at low engine rpms.  Only the buyer can decide if that
alone warrants the expense.

I have been carefully logging and tracking on a MS Excel spreadsheet and
graph every single tank of gas since I purchased my Traveler.  I keep a
running log by date and mileage of all maintenance and significant
mechanical changes.  Through this, I've noticed *no* correlation or trend
between the various ignition systems... with the exception of the trend of
a breaker-point ignition system to constantly change timing (retard) due to
contact point and rubbing block wear.  That definitely affected fuel
economy and requires frequent checking a resetting of the timing (a real
PITA).

>I agree about the part of most people start using it all at once and not a
>tune up first then MSD..however John Ekelmann and myself started with a top
>notch ignition system Plugs wires and coil and went to the MSD and could
>tell the difference. Try doing a hillclime with the MSD out of the loop and
>then again with it and see the difference.

Let me ask you this John... have you ever *perceived* that a car ran better
after a good washing and waxing?  I have... I swear!  But it's purely
psychological.  But in the case of your truck, if you really are getting
better performance, there may be some other reason your engine really needs
a stronger spark.  Higher compression maybe?  I dunno.  My 208,000 mile 345
sure didn't get any huge benefit from changing the ignition system.  My
personal testing shows something different from your feeling.  But then
mine are just one set of testing conditions done by one person.  But
believe me John, after I spent that much money on my MSD system, I more
than anyone was hoping for huge gains in fuel economy.  They just never
materialized and I have the recorded data to prove it.

Possibly dyno testing may prove something different that what my fuel
economy records show.  I guess the FourWheeler test showed some *slight*
gain in rear wheel horsepower with a Jacob's, but such a slight increase
would be imperceptible to the average driver.

Oh well.  Just like with Splitfires, the controversy won't be settled here.
If someone asks me for an opinion, I'll go on to recommend a Pertronix
Ignitor, a good set of 8mm plug wires and a good aftermarket coil.  Beyond
that, I'll warn them not to expect anything else except a light wallet.

Sincerely,

John L.
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com      |
Conservative Libertarian        |  "The road to  tyranny, we must never
Life Member of the NRA          |   forget, begins with the destruction
WA Arms Collectors              |   of the truth."
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   |                     William J. Clinton
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |    10-15-95, speech at the Univ. of CT