Re: Springover update

Curt Cleavinger wrote:

> http://www.off-road.com/~jweed/pictures/rebld14.JPG

Exactly what I was envisioning.

> I made some pieces out of 1/4" plate, and welded them to the axle
> tube and the knuckles. The plates are spaced about 1.5" apart, so I

GREAT ASCII art, Curt!

Great idea.  Any particulars on the welding?  I thought I heard the
knuckle is cast and the housing is stamped (or am I backwards?)..  Thus
the whole "Certified Welder" when you twist the knuckles.

I like it.

Not as long of shocks if you would've mounted them on the side of the
axle housing, but they're certainly out of the way, and it should be
stout enough.  Great location.

> >'72 body tub on Thursday, we lifted the tub up, then aired the tires
> >down and rolled the chassis out with 4 flats..
> How'd you pull it - with another vehicle? 4 flats make for a lot of
> rolling resistance. I've heard of taking the wheels off entirely, and
> using floor jacks to roll the chassis - though this only works on a
> nice smooth surface.

This was done in the soft dirt of my backyard (that I'm putting topsoil
and reseeding this summer).

I thought of taking the wheel off and rolling on the rotors and drums..
4 flats worked just fine.

We used a tow strap to my '77 to tow the frame out.. then Hi-Lifted and
tow-strapped the frame to make a 90 deg turn, then we lowered the tow
bar (my "tow bar bumper" is still mounted to this rolling chassis) and
hitched it up to my '77, for the quick tow around the block to the front
of the shop.. after we aired the tires back up.

Towed the engine/trans/xfer plus frame and axles down to the carwash on
Saturday and spent just shy of $10 pressure washing the whole thing...
YUCK.. got lots of stares.. with my muddy '77 topless sticking out the
end of the carwash, and this frame that I was actually *washing*.

We even put the magnetic trailer lights on the end of the frame.

-Tom