Re: Springover update

>I take it you felt this was needed. ;-)  Where/how are you attaching the
>front shocks?  Are you double shocking it with a hoop that goes over
>location of the stock front mounts?  This would mean you're going from
>the stem style to the horizontal stud style.

It will be a hoop, and shocks with studs at both ends. I'm planning to
run dual shocks, but it will be pretty trivial to run singles if I want
to. The shock hoops will be pretty similar to this (though probably a
bit taller and narrower):
http://www.off-road.com/~jweed/pictures/rebld14.JPG

>>  - Made and installed lower (on the axle) front shock mounts.
>
>How did you go about doing this?  Some folks just weld a bolt to the
>axle housing.. I'm not really in favor of that. ;)

I made some pieces out of 1/4" plate, and welded them to the axle
tube and the knuckles. The plates are spaced about 1.5" apart, so I
could put a shock between them, with a both through both plates and
through the shock eye. But I plan to run duals, so I'll mount a stud
to each plate, going in opposite directions - one for each shock.
Here's an attempt at a drawing

this is the knuckle and axle tube:
  __
 |_ \
   \ \________ _ _

   | _________ _ _
 _/ /
|__/

I made two pieced of 1/4" plate that look like this:
 ____
| o  \
|_____\

Here is the knuckle with the plate welded on:
  _______
 |_ \ o  \
   \ \____\____ _ _

   | __________ _ _
 _/ /
|__/

here's a top view:

          shock stud

          _||_____________ _ _
     __ /| ||
    /_   |====== <-- 1/4" plate
-> |(_)  |
|   \__  |====== <-- 1/4" plate
|       \|_||_____________ _ _
knuckle    ||
            ^

          shock stud

>Hmm.. must be nice!  I don't even come CLOSE to fitting in the garage..
>and I'm not as tall!
Actually, it seems to have settled a bit (I think because I made sure
the shackles weren't binding up last time I removed and replaced the
springs - turns out the rear shackles were pretty tight) - it's maybe
3/4" lower than my first report. About 8" of space between the tires
and the fenders.

>How often do you need in the garage again?  Could always do the 1" body
>lift, and then air down when you need to get into the shop. ;-)
I don't want that much hassle. I enjoy being able to go out to the
garage and tinker with the Scout for an hour or two in the evening. I'd
like to be able to keep the Scout in the garage all the time (I've got
lots of other projects planned). It's bad enough that I'll have to always
take the soft top down to get it in (or it'd get ripped).

>While pulling the motor/trans/frame/axles out from under the VERY rusty
>'72 body tub on Thursday, we lifted the tub up, then aired the tires
>down and rolled the chassis out with 4 flats..
How'd you pull it - with another vehicle? 4 flats make for a lot of
rolling resistance. I've heard of taking the wheels off entirely, and
using floor jacks to roll the chassis - though this only works on a
nice smooth surface.

Later,
  Curt

   rcleavin@domain.elided  San Diego, CA
   Binder Bunch: http://www.off-road.com/~jweed/binder.htm
   Scouts West: http://www.scoutswest.com
 [/>/]             [\<\] '75 Scout II     '75 Travelall 150