Re: Springover update

Curt Cleavinger wrote:

>  - Reinforced the frame at the points where shock mounts will be attached
>    by welding 1/4" steel plate to the frame (shock mounts will be welded
>    to the 1/4" plate). Also reinforced the frame behind the steering box

I take it you felt this was needed. ;-)  Where/how are you attaching the
front shocks?  Are you double shocking it with a hoop that goes over
location of the stock front mounts?  This would mean you're going from
the stem style to the horizontal stud style.

I've also thought of just taking the front shock mounts from the frame I
cut up and welding them opposite of the stock shocks and just running
two stem styles.  I probably won't, of course. ;)

>    while I was at it. I decided to add a crossmember to the frame in front
>    of the rear axle to act as an upper shock mount (for one side). This

If you did do the 1" body lift, you could raise that crossmember (and
the stock one, or work something out) and gain an extra inch of room for
longer shocks.

>  - Made and installed lower (on the axle) front shock mounts.

How did you go about doing this?  Some folks just weld a bolt to the
axle housing.. I'm not really in favor of that. ;)

> I discovered that the roll bar will scrape the garage door when I pull
> the Scout out, so I don't think I'll do that 1" body lift after all.

Hmm.. must be nice!  I don't even come CLOSE to fitting in the garage..
and I'm not as tall!

How often do you need in the garage again?  Could always do the 1" body
lift, and then air down when you need to get into the shop. ;-)

While pulling the motor/trans/frame/axles out from under the VERY rusty
'72 body tub on Thursday, we lifted the tub up, then aired the tires
down and rolled the chassis out with 4 flats..

-Tom