Re: 304/345 swap in an 800

I don't remember Mike's original question, but I think it had to do with
whether a new exhaust on his 4-196 would be usable if he swapped to a
V-8.  I think Tark's reply is a bit misleading.  To put the V-8 in the
800, IH raised the body 2" and moved the engine ahead about 6".  The 4
cylinder was rotated 10 to 15 degrees so the rocker cover would fit into
the tunnel opening in the dash.  To put a V-8 in in the same location
would probably take some extensive cutting of the dash plus you'd
probably have to raise the suspension to get diff to oil pan clearance
and you'll need the proper bell housing drilled for the non-rotated
engine. Overall height could also be a minor problem as the carb has to
be on top of the engine rather than somewhat down on the side, although a
2" lift like IH used should take care of it.  Just don't start with the
idea it's a bolt-in swap and the exhaust is only a small part of the
problem.

I don't think the additional height of the V-345 over a 304 was the
reason for it not being in the 800.  The difference in stroke is only
14/32" and I don't think the overall difference in height is more than an
inch.  Marketing was probably the main reason.  Remember that back in the
1960's, SUV's hadn't arrived yet and big engines weren't a hot thing in
4WD's.  The 266 was added in the Scout in 66 with the 304 coming in 1969
and the V-8s had just started appearing in the bigger pickups in 1962.
The Bronco started out with a 170 cid 6 with the 289 cid 8 added in 67
and the 302 cid in 70, Jeep had a 134 cid 4 with the 225 cid V-6 coming
in 66.  In addition, it wasn't until the 800A that the Scout had a
drivetrain that would have been adequate for the 345 had there been an
desire to offer it.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts

On Fri, 19 Mar 1999 08:07:47 -0800 "Jeff" <tark_terra@domain.elided>
writes:
>Mike,
>Your exhaust will fit, but I don't know that your hood will close.
>Ah, who needs a hood!  The 345 is taller than the 304 due to the
>stroke difference.  I'm sure the 800 would have been avaialable with
>the 345 if it fit.... a small body lift would clear it.  Everything
>else will fit.
>---
>Layda,
>Tark
>'77 Terra 345/T19/D20
>   Survivor of '98 Scout Nationals
>'80 Scout II 304/T19/D300
>   Clean machine
>

>Angelfire for your free web-based e-mail. http://www.angelfire.com

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]