Re: Floor Pans

Mike,

I would put some jack stands under the frame to stablize and hold in
position. So it doesn't move around you get in and out working on it.
Then before you cut the pan out, put more stands under the area right
under the front and rear door posts.  I'd swing the door open and put a
stand under the door too so the front door post can't move.  The whole
deal is that you don't want the body to move around as you cut the pan and
rockers out.  I would measure between the front and rear door posts, and
across the car.  Use your imagination and measure to be sure the bodywork
doesn't move.  If possible, leave the steel top on when you do this.  It
will help hold the body in position.

Do only one side at a time.  If you cut out both at one time, you'd get
some sagging.  It is then really difficult to get it all back in
alignment.  Don't leave out the measuring step.

Remember to cut back to clean steel when you weld.  Don't try to weld
through rust.  The rust (iron oxide) will carry oxygen directly into the
weld and you'll get a lot of holes blown in it.  This isn't as much a
problem on heavy stuff, but on bodywork it really can be a problem.

Steve
Steven A. Stegmann
     _/_/_/    _/      _/_/_/ "No free man shall ever be debarred the use
   _/    _/   _/_/   _/    _/  of arms.  The strongest reason for the
   _/        _/ _/   _/        people to retain the right to keep and bear
    _/_/    _/  _/    _/_/     arms is, as a last resort, to protect
       _/  _/_/_//       _/    themselves against tyranny in government"
 _/_/_/  _/     _/ _/_/_/         Thomas Jefferson, June 1776