Re: Antennas and Tow Straps

The aliens commander decided jmbrodsky@domain.elided would make a
perfect specimen for dissection, and he yelled...

>        How much for the antenna and mount combo?  Maybe I could have you
>     get one each, and I could get them in Cali in April?

I just called the CB shop... Truck City CB, Tacoma, WA (253)922-6969

Now mind you I'd need to go there and verify the mount is the right one,
but in talking to Corry (sp?), I think I have it right...

Stainless Mount: SM-12  Includes Antenna Stud  $14.94

Antenna: K40 (not to be confused with the Cobra antenna... "K40" is the
mfg. and the name of the antenna)  Your choice of black or white.
4 foot = $25.95
3 foot = $23.95

The guy I spoke with confirmed you do not want to use a 3' antenna unless
you have no other choice, as the SWR is difficult if not impossible to
match.  Transmission will certainly suffer and reception might be affected.

What I would be willing to do for you guys who are interested in such a
setup... Joel, Tom H., Bill T. and whomever... is go to the CB shop and A)
make sure the parts are the correct ones and B) either deliver them to you
in Tulare or C) ship them via UPS to you (although I'm sure the CB shop
would be happy to ship them)... *if* you call the CB shop and place the
order with your credit card number.  You could place the order and tell
them to hold it for pickup by me, etc.

Let me know if I can be of further help and I'll run by the shop to verify
the part numbers.

>     Also, now I hear
>     a friend talking about my 60' military tow strap (GRIN), are they
>     still available at the shows there?  I've used mine maybe 5 or 6 times
>     since I got it, and it really does a good job.  I like that it's long
>     so that you don't have the two trucks on top of each other!  We towed
>     his '64 home with it too.

A bunch of us just went to the annual 4x4 swap meet *last* weekend and the
same guy was there selling them again for $20.00.  I haven't seen him at
the gun shows lately... maybe this summer he will be there.  I'll keep my
eyes open and try to buy a couple next time.

Regards,

John L.
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com      |
Conservative Libertarian        |  "The road to  tyranny, we must never
Life Member of the NRA          |   forget, begins with the destruction
WA Arms Collectors              |   of the truth."
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   |                     William J. Clinton
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |    10-15-95, speech at the Univ. of CT