Re: Carb Rebuild

In Linda Tripp's secret telephone recording, Monica and Chad Sibert
<csibert@domain.elided> were heard saying...

>Is rebuilding a Holley 1904 single barrel carb something a novice should
>attempt, or is it a case of if you have to ask......?

Chad,

My words of advice to you would be to take plenty of time, clean everything
completely and *measure* the things they tell you to measure in the
instructions.  For example, don't assume the float level is correct upon
reassembly because you didn't bend or change anything.  The instructions that
come with the rebuild kit, or the IH shop manual will have detailed
step-by-step instructions on how to do everything.

For cleaning, consider investing in a large can of carburetor chemical *dip*.
This usually comes in 1 to 7 gallon metal cans with a perforated dip basket
inside.  You completely disassemble the carb carefully removing any plastic
pieces and then soak it overnight in the chem dip.  The next day, drain and
rinse the parts in hot water (a utility sink works great as the chem dip is
water soluble).  Dry the hot parts with compressed air... even a bicycle pump
is better than nothing.  It's important to blow the water drops out of all the
carb passageways.  The chem dip will leave the carb components looking like
new.

There's not much you can do work except forgetting to put something in or
putting something in backwards.  Again, go slow, look at the exploded view
picture that comes with the instructions and follow the directions.  Don't
over tighten screws, but make sure they are secure.  You may even consider
using a little NON-locking Loctite.

As far as tools go, you might need a small 6" machinists rule for measuring
the float height, etc.  Otherwise, just a variety of plain old hand tools such
as open and box end wrenches, phillips and standard screw drivers will
suffice.

Have fun and let us know how you make out.

Regards,

John L.
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com      |
Conservative Libertarian        |  Scout(R) the America others pass by
Life Member of the NRA          | in the Scout Traveler escape-machine.
WA Arms Collectors              |
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   | 1976 Scout II Traveler "Patriot" model
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |     1977 Scout II Traveler (Parts)