Re: 392 OVERHAUL

In Linda Tripp's secret telephone recording, Monica and Howard R Pletcher
<n9ads@domain.elided> were heard saying...

>I don't know just what the limit is, but it seems that I've heard that
>the .072 may be approaching the limit of what you can take off without
>having to shim the rocker arms to keep the lifters operating in their
>proper range.  Check into this if you go this far.
>
>I've machined .050 off the heads of my 345 and this combined with headers
>and some porting makes a very nice running engine.  I have no figures for
>what the power gain might be.

As Howard alluded to, be sure and take the extra time to do all the "right"
checks with this kind of modification.  This is especially important if you
shave the heads *and* go with a high performance cam... like I'm sure you
will.  Check the valve to piston clearance, not to mention the valve spring
keeper / stem seal to valve guide clearance.

Regards,

John L.
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com      |
Conservative Libertarian        |  Scout(R) the America others pass by
Life Member of the NRA          | in the Scout Traveler escape-machine.
WA Arms Collectors              |
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   | 1976 Scout II Traveler "Patriot" model
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |     1977 Scout II Traveler (Parts)