Re: Swapping ratios

On Thu, 04 Mar 1999 08:43 -0800 (PST) jmbrodsky@domain.elided writes:

>     Binders,
>
>        A friend has an IH 4wd pickup that apparently has different
ratios
>     fr/rr due to stupendous errors by P.O.
>
>        3.54 RR D60
>        3.73 FR D44
>
>     Now, Q:  Should he, swap the entire rear end with one from a guy
who
>     has 3.73 and wants 3.54 (D60)
>
>        OR:
>
>        Should he try to swap the front r/p to 3.54.  I suggested the
front
>     swap since the used front r/p are not usually worn badly and can be

>     had cheaply from wrecking yards.

Since you are asking the question for your friend, I would assume he does
not have the experience or equipment to properly set up the ring and
pinion.  Therefore, I would say the rear swap is the only choice.  That's
what I did in a similar situation.

A note on getting a used R&P for the front--the front drives on the
reverse side of the gear, so even a rear R&P that shows some wear is
still a new one for the front.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]