Swapping ratios

     Binders,

        A friend has an IH 4wd pickup that apparently has different ratios
     fr/rr due to stupendous errors by P.O.

        3.54 RR D60
        3.73 FR D44

     Now, Q:  Should he, swap the entire rear end with one from a guy who
     has 3.73 and wants 3.54 (D60)

        OR:

        Should he try to swap the front r/p to 3.54.  I suggested the front
     swap since the used front r/p are not usually worn badly and can be
     had cheaply from wrecking yards.

        Is the front r/p swap harder than a rear end swap.  Seems that the
     rear end only requires the u-bolts,driveshaft, e-brake, and brake
     lines.

        OR is the front r/p swap pretty easy?

     Thanks all,

   -Joel

   '83 BMW R80 G/S PD "Claudia" I ride her daily!
   '76 Scout II 345/727 "Marianne" waiting for some love and TLC
   '75 Travelall 150 4wd 392/727 Tranny eater, to get fed this wknd
   '74 Travelall 150 2wd 392/727 Fiber floor candidate, sometime soon.