Water crossing

Yesterday, I went through a stream that turned out to be alot deeper than
what I thought. The water was to the top of my wheels, and my winch was
nearly submerged. I wish someone could have taken a picture. Then I had to
cross it again to get home. Question, what is the deepest water you guys
have crossed and is their a fix for loosing all braking ability when the
brake shoes are wet? Vehicle is a 72 Scout II.

                  Thanxs, Ron Carpenter, Zillah Wa.

                          67 1300 series Motorhome (perfect)
                          72 Scout II 4x4 (almost ready)
                          72 Scout II 2X4 (parts)