Wheel bearings

On Fri, 26 Feb 1999, Daniel Nees wrote:

> take my hammer to the rachet handle to break the nut free! I couldn't
> believe it. The DPO must hav torqued the nut to 80 ft-lbs. The inner nut
> was the same way. It's a wonder the wheel turned at all.

Actually, Dan, you're supposed to hit somethign like 150ft-lbs when you
do a double-nutted wheel bearing.  Spin the rotor and torqe the inner nut
to 40ft-lbs, back off 1/3 turn, then put the outer washer and the outer
nut in, and tighten to 140ft-lbs or something like that per the IH
manual.  My Torque Wrench gets cranked all the way up when I do the
wheelbearings.

I admit, it's a PITA to get 'em back off.. but I've also had wheel nuts
come loose before... :-(

-Tom