DPO's

   I wonder who had the worst "Dumb Previous Owner"?
   I was working on GOOD this wekend when I found a bunch of just shake
your head with amazement items.
   First I was draining and refilling the rear diff, which with a 32
gallon fuel tank isn't easy. I pulled the cover and peeled the old paper
gasket off and took the cover down to the grinder to hit the silicon on
the wire wheel. Well, I hit it to find that there was ANOTHER fiber
gasket on there! Evidently, the DPO didn't want to remove the old
gasket, so he just gooped it up and slapped another one on it.
   Second, I was replacing the front wheel bearings. I took of the
locking hub and proceeded to remove the outer lock nut. Well, when I do
bearings I use a pair of specially made Channel-lock adjustable pliers.
I turn the nut tight, then back of a little. Well, I take my pliers and
start to unfasten the nut and the sucker wont turn! I don't have a
socket for this sive because I've never needed it. So, off I go to a
couple of stores. I finally get one from Sears. Home I go and attach my
12" long 1/2"drive rachet to the socket and, 'PULL'; NOTHING! I had to
take my hammer to the rachet handle to break the nut free! I couldn't
believe it. The DPO must hav torqued the nut to 80 ft-lbs. The inner nut
was the same way. It's a wonder the wheel turned at all.
   I have more DPO stories, but these were just from today.

_____Dan Nees_____
cookiedan@domain.elided
Keep Scoutin' and I'll be Travelalling along!
3 Scout II's and still counting!