Motor Mount Styles

OK.. I'm off doing more research on my racer project.. I've decided to
leave the motor and radiator in the stock location for the time being..
but I'd like to lower the engine/tranny assembly... for a lower center
of gravity, and nicer U-joint angles (it's spring over with an
automatic).  Sounds like a plan, doesn't it?

Stock SII motor mount brackets on the frame can't be lowered as is.  If
I moved the motor back about 15", I could lower the motor 3" and do it
(the frame drops).. but leaving the motor where it is, you can't easily
lower the motor.

John Comer suggested I look at a 69-73 pickup or Travelall and see how
they're mounted.

I hit the (muddy!) junkyard at lunch..

74-75 use what I think are referred to as the two "dogbone" mounts.  One
on either side of the engine.  It's easiest described if you imagine a
"V" bolted to the bottom and sides of the engine.  Then imagine another
"V" on the frame... the motor drops into the frame "V".  Of course, this
is really just two pads we're talking about, but that's the idea.

I couldn't tell if the "V" arrangement would allow me to lower the motor
or not... if I could mount the frame mounts lower and get the assembly
lower, or... I couldn't tell.

the other style that seemed popular I couldn't find with a motor
attached to it.. but it looks like a Scout II transmission mount
arrangement is used.  There's a "U" shaped crossmember near the front of
the frame.  This U dips down, and it looks like a Scout II trans mount
would go there.  I assume this then bolts to the engine bracket.  This
style requires the 2 piece transmission mount to keep the motor/trans
assembly from flopping around.

Naturally, this would be easy to lower.. just make a drop crossmember.
Of course, I lack the proper arrangement for use on the engine n' such..

I'm told there's a picture of the 2-piece transmission mount in the IH
service manual.. I'll be checking that out tonight.

Anyone care to comment on what a good solution would be?  I want to
lower the motor & trans about 2".  I can get 2" on the transmission side
just by flipping the trans crossmember upside down.  Get the front down
2", and I'm set.  And my U-joints shouldn't bind.

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout