RE: Rear axle removal. Help!

Roy Ireland wrote:

I need some more of your technical assistance.  I'm trying to pull the axle
shafts on my Dana 27 semi-floating rear axle.  The line set says its a PowrLok
but looking at the carrier inside the pumpkin I can see that it is not. How do
you get the axle shafts out?  I've tried a slide hammer attached to the hub
but it doesn't seem to want to come loose.  I'm afraid to use too much force
for fear of breaking something  or ruining a bearing.
Any hints on how to do this? Do I need some kind of special puller?

<snip>

Roy,

Obviously I am WEEKS behind in my digests, and you have probably already
solved this problem, but I thought I would forward on to you how I solved the
same problem on my scout.

Mine is also a 65 model 80 which came from the factory with a rear Dana 44
(verified on the lineset). My right rear axle seal had blown, so I wanted to
replace it and all the bearings in it. In order to remove the hubs, I discon-
nected the shocks, removed the u-bolts from the springs, dropped the rear of
the springs (make sure that the frame is supported by jacks) rolled the entire
axle assembly out the back of the truck, threw it in the back of my Exploder
and took it into a shop to have them do it.... After many hours of banging,
pulling (with 3 different pullers), heating, swearing, bleeding, etc I finally
gave up trying to get them off myself, took it to the shop and had a beer....

Good Luck,

John Townley
San Diego, CA & Yuma, AZ
65 Scout 80