Re: Rear axle removal. Help!

>IHers,
>
>I need some more of your technical assistance.  I'm trying to pull the axle
>shafts on my Dana 27 semi-floating rear axle.  The line set says its a
PowrLok
>but looking at the carrier inside the pumpkin I can see that it is not. How
do
>you get the axle shafts out?  I've tried a slide hammer attached to the hub
>but it doesn't seem to want to come loose.  I'm afraid to use too much
force
>for fear of breaking something  or ruining a bearing.
>Any hints on how to do this? Do I need some kind of special puller?

Roy,
Have you unbolted the backing plates from the axle tube?
These axles have the bearing pressed on like a one piece axle,and it uses a
removable race held in place by the backing plate.
I have one apart right now in the garage,i pulled the drums then unbolted
the backing plates .Bolted on a very large slide hammer and after 3 slams
out they came.Yes mine has a Powr-Lok in it.
Dennis