Scout Overdrives

To all, Epp, Tom H, Jeff.

  After I mentioned my $150 overdrive I got a few emails asking for more
details.  Basically,  I found out these were Borg-Warner units converted by
Rancho (the shock people?) with an adaptor to mate to the back of the Dana
20 (and 18).  They're commonly referred to as "Rancho Overdrives".

  These are the same B-W od units used by Ford and GM in cars and pickups.
The basic unit and parts availibility should not be any problem.  The
problem is finding a unit with the adaptor to the Dana 20.

  The Jeep parts guy who had a couple on the shelf has sold them.  I spoke
with him this morning and he says there's been a lot of interest recently
from the long wheel base Jeep crowd.

  The od's work only in 2wd and not reverse.  Are electrically actuated by
a centrifugal  switch set to a certain drive line rpm.  There's an
engagement knob on the dash for "in" or "out".  When it's "in" and the
drive line reaches the appropriate rpm the od engages.  Likewise, when
slowing down and the driveline is revolving slowly it disengages.   I
believe you lose compression braking with the unit engaged.

Doug