Re: spring over axle steering

On Mon, 08 Feb 1999 17:56:54 +0000 Christopher Eveland
<eveland@domain.elided> writes:

>>	So I was thinking I could probably come up with a similar
arrangement
>on my scout.  All I'd need (I think) is to make the arm, which would
>mimick the arm that the tie-rod attaches to, but higher up, and bolted
>on with the same bolts that hold the king-pin bearing cap on (4 3/8"-24
>bolts, according to my manual)  I could make the arm out of 1/4" plate
>with a vertical fin to keep it from bending.

I gather that Tom M. convinced you this may be a bad idea.  I'd like to
make the point that what you're suggesting is way too light to do the
job.  Take another look at the arms on the 44 you were looking at.  On my
Scout, they're more like 3/4" diam. at their smallest point and they
flare out to spread the load into the wheel end over a wide area.  Some
larger trucks use bolt-on steering arms, but they bolt on with bolts that
are spread 6" or more apart.  I'd even worry about the strength of the
casting around the king-pin bearing if you built an arm that was strong
enough as that wasn't designed with that type of load in mind.

Maybe it's time to swap in a 44 to get the steering arms you need.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]