Re: spring over axel steering

Chris:

I'm having trouble visualizing your situation since I can't get under my
Scout and look. But, I can say that they have used heim joints in race and
custom car applications for as long as I can remember and they are most
commonly used on suspension components where they would be subject to some
pretty strong forces (think roadster here with dual rods and heim ends
supporting a single front axle.)

And, although if my memory serves me correctly I have usually seen them in
a design where the forces applied would be in compression or tension along
the rod that they were fitted into, I know I've seen them used as tie rods
and other steering components. Luckily for me, they are carried at a local
hardware store and they come in many sizes. I have used a very small size
to replace the clutch linkage on a freinds CJ5 and it worked much better
than the stock setup which used to bend the push rod and fall out at will.

Perhaps if you use a large enough one, say one with a 1" shaft diameter,
you won't have to worry about breakage due to "side" forces.

Just my thoughts.

Tp, J/