New Stuff/Pertinent Questions at End!

Well, after trying to find the time and help I would need to get my
"new" '70 Scout 800 home from my friend's house where I left it, I
finally got over there yesterday and got it.  It started right up when I
got there-no starting fluid or anything, which shocked me, because we
had had it running, but had had to use some starter fluid every time.
Pulled out and took it around the block a few times to test-no probs.
Went to my school and then to a friend's to pick up a washer/dryer we
were buying.  Dogged out on me a few times, and I had to pull over and
keep restarting it, but eventually made it.  Started heading home,
taking backstreets, and the thing has NO power at all.  It would barely
make it over an overpass, and sometimes wouldn't pull away from a stop
light without dying.  I would guess that the few times it ran well
enough to make it high enough in RPM's to go from second to third, I may
have hit a top speed of 30 MPH!!!  Then I would usually find a
pothole/RR track and the thing would start bouncing like a lowrider!!!
Scared the hell out of half the people I saw on the way home, as it was
also backfiring like crazy!  And not just little spits or pops, but the
kind that make people in the less affluent areas of Oakland dive to the
ground fearing a drive-by.  And, oh yeah, I was driving through the less
affluent areas of Oakland!  This white boy was not real popular in that
neighborhood yesterday!  (aside: I hold no racial prejudices and hate to
stereotype, but being the only obviously anglo person I saw for about
ten blocks, I feel that this would have been how most of the people who
saw me would have described me as well.  I would not have been offended
to have been referred to as "the white guy," as this would have been the
best way to specify me.)
Before getting home, I had to stop and put more gas in the tank.  At
this point, I found that I did not know which of the dual tanks was
actually working, as the fuel cock by the driver's seat was not there.
There was a small toggle switch that had been mounted on the dash that
said, "Left" and "Right," which I assumed to be the tank selector.  I
put about five gallons in the left, went around to the right and put
some in which instantly poured out on the ground.  I looked under-a hole
about the size of a quarter punched through the bottom of the tank.  I
guess it must be running on the left tank, then!
Proceeded further home, and as I started to see the light at the end of
the tunnel, I also saw that my tank was nearly empty again!  Stopped and
put in ten dollars, hoping this would get me home.
Made it home under my own power, and parked in the driveway!
Whooohooo!!!
Good news is that I made it about fifteen miles home in a Scout that had
been sitting for about eight months without running, that had a front
axle VERY askew when I got it, and that was not running at all when I
got it.
Bad news is that it died out several times, showed no power at all, and
has a terrible, terrible exhaust problem.
Other bad news is that it took about seven gallons to make it that
fifteen miles.
Other good news is that it cost me $150.00, and is pretty solid, has a
brand new spare mounted on the rear spare tire carrier, and is overall
much more solid than my current daily driver.
Anyway, that's the current story of my newest toy.  You'll be hearing
much more about it as I go along.
Any input on the "road hop"?  I am assuming that shocks will do wonders
for that, but since the front axle was so tweaked, I didn't know if
there may be something wrong there or not.  We (a friend and I)
remounted the springs and straightened them out on the front, and it
seems pretty even now, though we only eyeballed it.  It would do fine
until hitting a bump, then would really bounce!!!
Also, I am thinking that the immense amount of gas pouring into the carb
and thus, engine would cause the weak running-pretty much running under
flood conditions?  There was no sign of any gas leaking from anywhere,
and there was none dribbling out on the engine, so I am assuming that it
was all going through the engine.  I would guess that a carb rebuild may
remedy this situation.  Any input on this theory?
Also, it currently has an electric fuel pump mounted right up next to
the coil!!!  I know this is a terrible place for it, and will relocate
if necessary, but I want to know if anyone has ever heard of the cam
that "pumps" the fuel pump ever actually wearing down to the point that
an electrical is needed.  I have often heard this discussed, but in
every instance, the problem is something else, and the original type
mechanical pump ends up working fine when everything else is in line.  I
think I would like to put the original style back in and see what
happens, but don't want to waste the $25.00 for no reason.  Any input on
this?  Also, when using an electric, they usually put out more pressure
than IH's need, don't they?  Is there any need for some kind of
regulator, or does the carb do this itself?
Sorry for the long-winded post, but want to figure out my three-day
weekend plans in advance so I can have all of the parts together by
Monday!

Thanks!

Michael