Re: Welding First project

Mike Klink wrote:

> night tech school.  There is a lot more to know than how to arc 'n spark.
> Especially when considering some welds better not break.  Even big, ugly
> beads don't hold.  What's on top ain't holding anything (relatively), it's
> all, as they say, in the penetration.  You want to practice on something
> holding the body on??!!
> TomM may disagree, he seems to jump right in and weld spring perches on.
> Ah yout', no fear.

FWIW, I haven't welded ANYTHING "structural" yet.  I've been making some
speaker mounting brackets.  Hardly important work.. but a good project,
and good *practice*.

I don't trust myself to weld spring perches.. which is why I was quite
happy when the T'all axle went in last night without the need to
relocate the perches.

I do need to go refresh myself on what a "good" weld's characteristics
are.. I seem to recall the color of the slag and/or cleaned metal gives
an indication of how close to the proper settings one is.  I'm still in
the "weld this scrap to that, then beat with a sledge" stage.

Practice makes better.  <g>

In this same vein, I haven't installed my rollcage yet.. because I don't
trust myself.  I just have a hard time practicing without having
*something* to work *on*.. so I'm trying to find "simple" projects to
play with.

-Tom