Welding First project

Mike,
My .02 worth.  Maybe I'm old (yes I am) and cautious (old does that), I'm
thinking the same projects BUT, I am in second semester of MIG welding at
night tech school.  There is a lot more to know than how to arc 'n spark.
Especially when considering some welds better not break.  Even big, ugly
beads don't hold.  What's on top ain't holding anything (relatively), it's
all, as they say, in the penetration.  You want to practice on something
holding the body on??!!
TomM may disagree, he seems to jump right in and weld spring perches on.
Ah yout', no fear.
Learn the proper way.  Besides, my instructor knows I'm not in it for a
career, so let's me use the equipment, free material, and build stuff.  May
be something in your area along the same lines.