RE: Advice needed

Terry,

Wouldn't it be funny if somewhere here recommended a toyota?  Assuming that
gas
mileage is not a top concern, I'd definitely go with an IH.

For pure utility, I'd go with a fullsize.  I've hauled a 1/2 ton of 20'
I-beams
in the back of my travelall, and it had no impact on acceleration, stopping,
or
handling.  (Of course, the other way to look at it is that it always handles
like
it has a 1/2 ton of I-beams in it!).  Since I've got four in my family I
wouldn't
get a non-crewcab pickup.  The downsides are fuel economy, body parts
availability,
and they might not fit on some of the trails you want to go.  My '74 with
the 392,
and 3.73 gears is a lot of fun to drive.  The '75 with 392, 3.54 gears, and
IFS
is a highway cruiser - but lacks the oomph to pull trailers well through the
mountains.

For flexibility, I'd go with a traveler.  They can tow well, can be made
into
a reasonable pickup, can seat four people comfortably, get better mileage
than
the full-sizes, can fit on more trails offroad.  The only drawbacks compared
a scout seem to be a slightly smaller availability of body parts, and
slightly worse
fuel economy.

Ken Farmer
1980 Scout II