Starter spacers was HELP. . . . .

Epp wrote:
>Not to pick nits, but you said you installed "a" spacer.   Do you mean
that
you installed "the" spacer?  The A/T equipped scouts used a spacer between
the starter and the block.  It is rather thick. <

Epp,

   Not to pick nits TOO much, but. . . . .I know the spacer you're talking
about.

  I've heard about thin spacers(1/8")  and thick (like 3/8") spacers.  I
had a 727 in my 800 with V266, when I switched to a 304 the same
starter/spacer  combo didn't work.  I had a pile of various IH starters
from assorted Scouts so I kept trying until I found the right combination.
Turned out to be a starter WITHOUT spacer.

  What I found was all the starters were not the same length where the part
protruded into the bellhousing area.

  Just my $.02 worth of nits.

Doug