Distributors, chain stores...

Alan St. John wrote:

So, here's my question: does anyone know the *real* designations
(manufacturers) for these distributor types and (oh please oh please)
part
numbers for a major chain in this area (Napa, Pep Boys, AutoZone,
Advance)?  I am dying to get this Scout back on the road in top running
condition and I don't have time to play "find and compare" with several
different chain stores.

<lurk mode off>
Heh. Well, after driving to the Pep Boys and buying the wiring kit for
what I thought was a Holley, I found I had a Prestolite. I've got a '78
304v-8. Watch out- they had to order the wires and charged me $50 for
them. Now, before y'all get on me for spending that much, I need to get
my beast running again asap (She's been sitting for quite a while now.)
I was supposed to get her down to Erick Foor's place (East Coast Scout
Parts) months ago to have him install my rebuilt carb (like I have the
time to futz with the thing myself) but didn't. So, I pulled my plugs
after she finally refused to catch one morning, and the ends looked like
they had been dipped in mud. 'Course, when i pulled the wires, the
connectors seperated from the wires on about 4 of them, so she isn't
going anywhere soon. the Pep Boys SKU was #8404387 for MSW brand wires.
Alan, I don't think that helps your cause much, but I figured I'd throw
it out there.
OK, that having been said, do I want to open the age-old debate of
electronic ignition vs. points?