Re: Rear Bumper

Steven Stegmann wrote:

> >Why 4x6 and not something smaller?  I have some 2x6x3/16wall that I'm
> It looks a bit heavy, but, the body is so soft (fg body is worse) that
> if anyone hits it I seriously want them to stop at the bumper.  That's
> why when I do the body it will get nerf bars, real ones.

Ahhh.. Good point.  I'm just concerned about folks like Willy making
comments about my sagging butt.. ;-)

> >How about mounting the hitch a little higher up?
>
> You could mount the hitch higher, but you'd probably have to modify the
> trailer to deal with the elevated hitch.

I'll probably need a drop hitch anyhow... with a 4" lift and 33s.. (and
more on the way)

> >Also.. how far does the hitch have to stick out to allow you to get the
> >hitch pin in?  I was thinking it might need to be out a bit.. and then
>
> About 4 inches.  The clevis pin for the drawbar almost touches the 4x6
> tube.  There's just enough room to get the cotter pin on it.

Hmmmm.. I might be mounting the hitch flush with the TOP of the bumper!
:-)

4".. I wonder how completely inconvenient it would be if I used some 6x3
tube and mounted the hitch flush with the rear face, and put the pin in
from the *back side* of the bumper.  Is that easily accessible from the
gap between your two 4x4 spacers?  That would leave 3" poking out the
back of the front bumper.. but then you have the 4x4 spacers, which is
enough room for it.  I could then weld a plate to the back of the
receiver tube and bolt that to the "c-channel" on the end of the frame
for extra strength.

If I were doing a lot of towing, I imagine this would be REALLY
inconvenient.. but I suppose it wouldn't be a Really Big PITA for the
occasional tow.. just have to put the pin in from underneath and
behind.  If towing were my primary concern, I'd be fabbing a bumper for
an IH pickup, not my Scout.. towing is almost an after-thought... "While
you're in there might as well..."

Another thought.. a friend made a custom flatbed for his Ford out of
steel.  He has two piece of flat bar welded vertically in the center of
the rear of the bed.  He cut 'em into trapezoids.  He then drilled 'em
and put a hitch pin through.  It's for tow-strap attachment.  Seems like
a nice, clean solution.

> >Why on the bottom?  Would it be OK to mount the safety chain
> attachments
>
> I'm realistically going to do a lot more towing than off-roading.  So I
> leaned the design that way.  You would probably go more for clearance
> than I wanted to.

I was just checking that there wasn't a particular reason for doing it
one way or the other.. sounds like there isn't.. just a design "feature"
from a given perspective.

I'd probably arrange the safety chain mounts to double as recovery
attachment points.

> >Where did you position the 4x4 spacers then?  If you were doing it

> I aligned the tops of the spacer tubes and the top of the 4x6 tube with
> the top of the frame.  That gives about 1/8 inch clearance for the

This is what I was asking.. what was lined up with what. :)

> tailgate.  Have to keep the snow & ice off if you want to drop the
> tailgate.

Flush with the frame gives just a little clearance.  OK.  Have you
replaced your body mount bushings? (probably not.. you still need to
replace the mounts themselves, right? :-))

I have my 1" body lift in hand.. and need to order the new bushings..
that'll give me another 1" or a little better (new poly bushings vs.
shot rubber) to move the bumper upwards before tailgate interference
becomes and issue.

This is starting to sound like some fun. :-)

Thanks, Steve.

-Tom