Re: Rear Bumper

Tom:

re: Drop hitches

Make sure to look into this before you go use some 6" drop hitch. We've all
seen the. Chevy 4X4 1/2 w/35" tires. Body & suspension lift totaling 10" or
so. It's pulling a boat and in order to keep the trailer level, there is a
drop hitch out of the bumper height reciever in the back. It's 'L' shaped
and the vertical leg is 6" to 12" long.

I don't claim to be an expert, but I've read that they are usually a
problem waiting to happen. The reason, simple physics. That long drop
allows for a lot of leverage by the trailer on the receiver hitch. Leverage
fore and aft as well as side to side. Besides, you couldn't use an
equalizer with that drop hitch. Bottom line, you might tow 1,000 lb trailer
with  one. But, once you get up to a boat or another Scout too much weight,
too much leverage.

Tom H.