Re: Differential ID?

When doing this, either have an assistant on the other side to make sure
BOTH wheels make one revolution or just jack up one side and turn that
wheel 2 revolutions while counting the driveline revolutions.  Otherwise,
you may get an erroneous indication because the other wheel may turn
backwards rather than the driveline turning.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts

On Tue, 26 Jan 1999 08:31:31 -0600 Kevin Curry <kevin@domain.elided>
writes:
>About the only way to tell without opening the diff (even then it's hard
>figure out) would be to jack up the rear end w/ both wheels of the
ground and
>check the number of times the driveshaft turned when you turn a wheel
one full
>rotation.
>
>PS - BLOCK THE FRONT TIRES!
>
>Matt and Stacy Sopher wrote:
>
>> IH all,
>> Does anyone know how to identify the gear ratio on a differential if
>there
>> are no ID tags on the covers? I believe they are Dana 40's.
>> Matt
>
>--
>"It's not a matter of no one else being able to keep up. It's a matter
>of no one else being able to follow." -from my Hummer poster
>
>SC4x4EI - Home of "TK SLiders" www.muddyjeep.com
>Kevin Curry <>< - Kevin@domain.elided
>Lisa Curry <>< - Gonna be a trailblazer yet!
>'94 Red Hummer 4DHT Slant-back - "HummuH"
>'75 Black International Scout - "Stealth"
>'84 White "Lightening" CJ-7
>'89 Soon to be whatever color Lisa wants Suburban - "Sluggo"
>ICQ# 7653541
>http://www.redhummer.net

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]