Re: Rear Bumpers

> From: John Ekelmann
>
> I have a 3x5 tube rear bumper with an integrated hitch like you are talking
> about.  the way mine is set up only about 4 or 5 inches of the reciever
> tube sticks in past the bumper and is flush on the outside surface.  The

So how close, "at rest" is the receiver to the gas tank?

> suffered a very small dent.  Basically if you use some heave wall tube you
> shouldn't have much to worry aboput if you do a proper jopb welding it
> together. Pictures of my bumper and flecks are on his web site if you want
> to look at the designs.

I've seen John's monster rear bumper.. the front isn't quite so vivid in
my mind.

I'm trying to design a bumper "strong enough" but not SUPER HEAVY.
Scouts are heavy enough..

I had to special order the 6x2 3/16" wall tube for the front bumper..
because 1/4" would've been a bit *too* heavy...

I'm thinking along the lines of 5x2 or 6x2 box tube in the rear (gotta
measure clerance after the body lift), angle the ends for better
clearance on the corners, cap it.  Tow hooks mandatory, and Hi-Lift jack
points.. cut a hole in the center for the hitch.. do like Bill M.
suggested and "ring" the end of the hitch.. ideally getting the hitch up
high enough that it's not a "departure angle casualty" waiting to
happen.  Probably cut the frame to allow a little more room.  Reinforce
appropriately (I think it can be done, and the more discussion, the more
I'm convinced).

My thought is to fully weld around the receiver hitch to make the bumper
remain air tight... and tap for my on-board air reservoir.

Someone else has suggested to me that I install hydraulic or hose
couplers.. and fill half the bumper with antifreeze and the other with
motor oil... still run air lines into it to pressurize the fluid.. and
have an on-board supply of essential fluids when needed.  Sounds
tempting anyhow.. ;-)

Still not sure about a tire carrier.. i have some thoughts I want to
look into..

One thought is to build a "triangle" carrier that would mount to the
bumper.  Crossbeam across the back of the bumper, and then two more that
go up to form a triangle that would end just below the liftgate in the
center.  Ideally, making enough room to put a full size spare in the
back and NOT eliminate the use of the liftgate... I need to get out the
tape measure (obviously).  Affix a hinge on the side I put the spare
tire, and a latch on the other side (near a Jerry can holder).  Keep the
weight low and on the bumper... but only if it can be done strong enough
and there's room.  That 33x10" spare tire in the cab is taking up too
much room!

Interesting note - my friend runs 36x11s on his FS Bronco.. his spare
tire is flat.  It has a couple ratchet straps around it holding the bead
*and* "cinching" the tire smaller.  If he gets a flat, he just airs it
up.

-Tom