Re: Bumpers

From: John Ekelmann

I have a 3x5 tube rear bumper with an integrated hitch like you are talking
about.  the way mine is set up only about 4 or 5 inches of the reciever
tube sticks in past the bumper and is flush on the outside surface.  The
end that protrudes inward is  caped off and supported by a peice of heavr
angle that ties into each mount, which slip inside the framerails and are
fully welded in place.  the bumper would need to be pushed in quite a ways
for the reciever t o hit the gas tank, this would take considerable
force(enogh to total your scout completely).
This type of bumper setup is very strong, my front 3x5 bumper totaled a car
and only scuffed some paint on the bumper, fleck(with a similar yet larger
bumper) had somone rearend him doing damage to the other vehicle and only
suffered a very small dent.  Basically if you use some heave wall tube you
shouldn't have much to worry aboput if you do a proper jopb welding it
together. Pictures of my bumper and flecks are on his web site if you want
to look at the designs.
John Ekelmann