RE: Rear Bumper

> From: owner-ihc@domain.elided [mailto:owner-ihc@domain.elided]On Behalf Of Tom
> Mandera wrote:
<snip>

> I think I remember someone else talking about doing something similar
> for their bumper.. anyone care to share some thoughts on this?  Would I
> just be building an arrow to pierce my gas tank with?

Here's a reposting of Bill Mounteer's description of his bumper from May 25,
1998.  I was just reading it today, and it sounds pretty similar.  Fleck,
responded on the 29th with a few additions, since his was very similar to
this one (they both used sections welded to the bumper that slid into the
open frame rails and were bolted in there).

Bill wrote:

>Next I cut a 2.5" square hole to insert a short length of 2.5" square
>tube to mount the hitch bar. When doing this, test the fit of the
>2" square hitch bar with the 2.5" square tubing you plan to use.
>It's easier to file any interior lumps etc before you weld it in
>place. Also drill a 1/2" hole for the hitch pin. I reinforced the
>2.5" tube by welding a ring made from 3" square tube at the outer
>end.

Tom, if you did something like this I don't think you are setting yourself
up for a Pinto-style disaster: the extra ring should provide considerable
resistance to being pushed through, and a hit to the back would be by
another vehicle - generally allowing the scout to reduce the impact by
rolling forward - unlike a hit to the front against an unmovable barrier.

then he described his cool storage trick:

>As a finishing touch I cut a slot width wise in the top of the bumper
>(about 3/8" from the end) and made little drop in sliders to act
>as removable end caps. I left a little tang on the bottom to key into
>a smaller slot cut in the bottom and I made them long enough that the
>top sticks out about 1". I welded a little piece of angle iron to the
>top of the bumper and drilled a 1/4" hole thru it and the slider so
>that I could lock it. I store 25' of tow chain in each side. I keep a
>3' broom handle with a nail sticking out the end to push the chain
>in. I store this in the bumper as well.

Ken "who is also thinking about bumpers right now" Farmer