Rear Bumper

Did a little preliminary thinking on a rear bumper today... and I was
thinking I need to reinforce, then cut a square hole in the rear of the
frame to mount a receiver hitch in the middle.  This would get the hitch
up and out of departure-angle-harm's way...

I'd like to punch a hole through the frame, and then bolt the receiver
tube in some fashion to supports welded to the rear of the frame (around
the hole I made).. thus, if the bumper is destroyed, it shouldn't take
the frame with it...

'cept I got to thinking more.. and it seems like a good hit.. enough to
deform the box tube I plan on using.. would also punch the receiver
hitch tube right into my gas tank...

I think I remember someone else talking about doing something similar
for their bumper.. anyone care to share some thoughts on this?  Would I
just be building an arrow to pierce my gas tank with?