Re: V-304 vs V-345/392 ID

   Another method of positive engine ID is by using the block casting number.
This number is usually pretty easy to see, located between the freeze plug
holes on either the right or left side.  Depending on how crusty / greasy the
block is the number can be seen from underneath without too much trouble.  The
cast numbers are larger than the stamped ones on the pad on the side of the
block.  This method can also identify the improved cooling vs non improved
cooling blocks on 392's.

    I made up a list of block casting numbers awhile back, but I can't seem to
find them right now  :(.  I will keep looking tho, in the meantime post the
casting number, or email the number to me and I'll see what I can come up
with.

> Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 19:32:33 EST
>  From: Howard R Pletcher <n9ads@domain.elided>
>  Subject: V-304 vs V-345/392 ID
>
>  Prompted by Ben Cole's problem identifying whether he had a 304 or 345, I
>  went out and looked at some.  Because of the longer stroke of the larger
>  engines, the intake manifolds are approximately 1" wider than the 304
>  (and 266).  This can be seen in 2 different spots.  The rear mounting
>  bolts of the manifold are usually fairly accessible.  The bolt holes are
>  8 3/4" apart on the 304, 9 3/4" for the 345.  Due to the angle of the
>  bolts, the measurement across the outside of the bolts when installed is
>  the same. (A tip, an "average" male hand spans apx. 8 3/4 from your thumb
>  to middle finger and with a chance to view each manifold, you will have
>  an engine size gauge with you at all times.)
>
>  Another way to separate the two is by looking at the sides of the
>  manifolds.  The basic center part appears to be the same and above the
>  end of each inlet runner, there is a square "post" (probably there as a
>  part of the casting operation).  These posts appear to be spaced the same
>  on each manifold;the extra width appears outside the post.  With the 304,
>  the post is the outside edge of the manifold.  With the larger manifolds,
>  there is a flange apx. 1/2" wide extending beyond the post.
>
>  This may save you some searching for the size stamping on the side of the
>  block.  However, it will not help separate a 345 from a 392.  If it's an
>  improved cooling 392 engine, the coolant tubes into the block rather than
>  the heads is an identifier.  If it's an older engine, you still have to
>  find the size stamping.

   Eldon McFarling
   Ceresco, NE
   '80 Scout II TurboDiesel