Re: Lift idea

On Tue, 19 Jan 1999 SLarsonIH@domain.elided wrote:

> So my question is: Has anybody thought about or seen or tried relocating all
> four spring perches downward 4 inches. My thought was that you would gain the
> same thing as a 4 inch suspension lift without any of the negatives. They

It would raise the frame height, but not increase wheel travel.

> certainly could be made beefier than stock. Cheaper to fabricate. Am I missing
> something. Actually, what I had thought at the time was, that the best lifting
> So, what do you all think. Am I just a little carzy, or have I been reading
> too many of Tom Mandera's posts?

Too many of my posts, Steve!  But you do have that wild look about you
that might indicate you're a bit "touched"... :-)

You could safely relocate the REAR spring mounts to under the frame and
gain 4" of lift.. and balance that with a 4" front lift.  That would be OK.

But lowering the front spring mounts 4" seems a little "shakey" to me..
just like too-tall of a body lift, you're increasing the leverage applied
to the spring mounts by making a longer lever.. seems like a recipe for
breaking a spring-mount off at (as usual) an inopportune time and having
a bit of a "whoopsie" on your hands.

YMMV

-Tom