Re: Veggans Vs Beefeaters

Eric:

No one disputes what the stats say or that people are starving in our
world. But, that doesn't prove that if Americans ate half as much beef and
produced concurrently that much more corn or other protein source lower on
the food chain, that we could get that food distributed to the rest of the
world and end starvation. It just isn't that simple. Never was, never is,
never will be.

I resent it when "do gooders" quote us lots of stats about our (American)
habits and then turn and say "if only................." as though it is so
simple. It is food for thought for sure, but unless they can solve the
whole equation, trying to make us feel guilty about ourselves isn't the
answer. It doesn't feed the starving folks in Africa, it doesn't keep the
Tutsis from killing the Hutus and it won't get the Catholics to get along
with the Protestants in Northern Ireland. We should think about it. We
should work on solutions. But we shouldn't feel guilty for what we have
little control over. What if... What if............

I feel strongly about this because I was once one of those naysayers. A
product of the '60s and all of that. And mostly because I think this type
of "laying on of the guilt" is rampant in our schools and with our young
people. And some of them I know seem so depressed and upset about all this
when they should be enjoying their childhood and developing into mature
adults that can address these problems.

Tom H.