72 TA small gas tanks

The main tank holds 20 gallons and the aux holds 15.  Sounds like your fuel
gauges have really deterioriated?  My TE reads empty at 10 gallons, a PIA
even for a risk-taker like me -try to push that sucker off the road by
yourself-.  Check the grounds... start with the rear (main) tank since it is
really easy to get at.

What's the problem with the tank selector?  You can get electric ones.

I've got a '72 1010 Travelall w/dual tanks.  The tank selector no longer
works, and even if it did, there's only a 9 gallon capacity in the 'main'
and an 8 gallon in the auxiliary, which is a pain on long road trips.
In Use: 70 1210 4x4 TE, 73 1210 WM
Project (2nd time) 67 1000B PU
Parts: 67 1000B TA   68 1100 4x4 TA  72 1010 TA