Re: throttle body icing

When he stopped taking his medication, strange voices in "amy lawson"
<ajlawson@domain.elided>'s head said:

>does
>anyone no of a cure for this problem, I have a k&n air filter, no preheat
>stuff.  this is the only problem i have had with my holley except one time
>i had an injector go bad

Unfortunately John, when the atmospheric conditions are just right, the
only way you're going to avoid that is by preheating the carb (not really a
practical option) or using a setup like the original IH exhaust manifold
heat riser.  I run the original stock air cleaner and heat riser with my
Edelbrock carb up here in Olympia in the winter, and I switch to an
Edelbrock open air cleaner without heat riser in the summer.

On a related note: I've been using my air die grinder a *lot* in recent
weeks as I did the porting an porting and polishing of the heads and
exhaust manifolds on my 392 rebuild project.  On many days the weather was
mild... probably high 40's to low 50's and very humid... typical winter
weather in the Pacific NW.  My oil-less Craftsman air compressor would run
continuously for periods of time as I worked.  The air in the tank would be
warm and would pass through a water and contaminant filter immediately
after the tank.  Upon reaching the die grinder, this compressed / warm /
moist air would decompress rapidly as it passed through the air valve I
controlled via a lever.  This rapid decompression caused such a chilling
effect in the die grinder body that I was ultimately forced to where gloves
to keep from getting frost bite!  The exhaust port would ice up with a nice
layer of rime icing.  Finally, after one particularly long run, the die
grinder formed enough ice internally to literally freeze up and stop
turning.  I had to bring it into the house and sit in by a heater to thaw
out.  To extend my working time, I developed a technique of periodically
swapping between my straight die grinder and my angle die grinder to give
them time to "thaw" between cycles.

Of course some sort of air line dehumidifier (like we have at work) would
eliminate this problem, but the cost is not practical for an occasional
home shop user like me.

Sorry for getting off on a tangent,

John L.

First, the die

>Thanks for any help
>John Ekelmann
>Beaverton Or.

jlandry AT halcyon DOT com    | "A fear of rebuilding automatic
Conservative Libertarian      |  transmissions is a sign of retarded
Life Member of the NRA        |  sexual and emotional maturity."
WA Arms Collectors            |                          - Sigmund Freud
Capital City Rifle & Pistol   |                  "General Introduction
Commercial Helicopter - Inst. |                   to Mechanical Analysis"