josad@domain.elided, ICQ #25751950, homepage
http://www.geocities.com/Baja/Trails/6536/index.html, PGP public key
avadiable upon request

On Thu, 14 Jan 1999 10:08:13 -0700 Tom Mandera <tsm1@domain.elided> writes:
>josad@domain.elided wrote:
>
>> I was thinking earlier, has anyone ever taken one of the older 2wd
>scouts
>> and converted it to a prerunner?  seems to me they would be great
>for
>> such a project, especially the later models w/ the 266 or 304 v8's,
>> although even with a 'glass body, you'd still be real heavy, but it
>seems
>> to me like an interesting project.
>
>Not yet, Joe... but if you want to build one, I'll come over n' bring
>my
>racer (when it's done) and we'll go play. :-)

:-)  if I build one, it won't be for a couple years,  I have to get my
current project done, then I also want a house by the time I'm 25, and
that'll come before I know it.  but I may still buy one.

>Biggest problem with a Scout is that motor up front.. granted, no 4x4
>front axle, no transfer case saves on weight *some* but...
>
>You'd still want to move the motor rearward some for better balance.

hmm, maybe instead of moving the engine/trans back, one could move the
rear axle foward, chop off some of the frame in back, put your spare tire
and battery, and maybe small tool kit back there to distribute the weight
some.

>You'll want suspension travel to soak up the slams.. but at the same
>time, stock track width says you don't want to go too tall or you'll
>get
>tippy... ditch the hardtop for sure and get a rag top for the weight
>savings and better distribution.

I'd just go with the bikini top, it's lightest

>I'd vote for 4" Triangles still spring-under.. with the Datsun HD bump
>stops all around... hmm.. better throw air-ride bucket seats in
>there..
>you'll need 'em...

hmm, maybe if not wanting it too tippy, 2" lift w/ fender trimming would
be better?

>31" tires.. no more.
>
>Maybe that's my next project... ;-)

always need another on the list? :-)

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]